It’s your cocktail party. The playlist is perfect. Your guests are mingling, and the custom cocktail menu is a hit. Chips and salsa as snacks? That just won’t do.
Instead, bring out tequila-slicked shrimp on tortilla-chip shells. Or maybe kebabs touched with bourbon. Drink up and eat up. Your next party is waiting.
Tequila, Meet Tacos
Tequila. Shrimp. Taco. What else do you need to know?
Mini Tequila Shrimp Tacos
(adapted from iwashyourdry.com)
- non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 tsp cayenne powder (or to taste)
- 24 large raw shrimp, shells and tails removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 24 tortilla chip scoops
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray
- Combine ½ tsp salt, lime zest, tequila and cayenne powder in a small bowl. Add shrimp and toss. Place shrimp on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil . Bake for 5–8 minutes,until the shrimp turn pink and curl in on themselves.
- Combine avocado, lime juice and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Assemble your shrimp taco bites by placing a bit of avocado mixture in a tortilla chip, and top with some cooked shrimp.
- Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. Serve.
Tastes Better on a ’BobFirst, food on a stick is amazing. Better, it requires little clean up. Best, the possibilities are endless. Don’t like beef? Use chicken (or pork, or fish). Are your guests vegetarians? Bell peppers and eggplants are worthy replacements. Even better, combine those vegetables with a protein. Don’t skimp on flavors, though, the marinade is the money.
Beef and/or Vegetable Kabobs
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ¾ cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- About 3 pounds chuck steak
- 2 cups white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces .
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Sea salt
- Cotija cheese
- Mix soy sauce, ketchup, agave nectar, bourbon, black pepper, cayenne, chipotle peppers and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Add the steaks to the marinade and let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours
- Grill the steaks over medium-high heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then chop into 1-inch squares.
- While the steaks rest, grill the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Stick steak, mushrooms and bell pepper on skewers.
- Sprinkle with salt and cotija cheese. Serve.
- Word of the Day
Definition: Mark with spots or blotches of different color or shades of color as if stained. Synonyms: blotch, streak